Oxford is a great place to visit. Boutique Shops, craft shops with crafts made by local people and from the South Island. A new Art Gallery. The Oxford Workingmen's Club Bistro are available for dinners on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Take in our Museum and historic jail or just spend time relaxing.
Enjoy your stay and take your pick from the following activities
- Relax with a complimentary sauna or spa at Hielan House.
- Cafe 51, The Famous Sheffield Pie Shop Bakery and Cafe
- Check out the boutique shopping, seeing is believing.
- Black Beech Wine Bar
- Horse Riding and Trekking. Kowhai Riding School
- Mears Track close by where you can see native beech, taste the honey dew and many guests enjoy being followed around by the friendly native fantails.
- Ashley Gorge Track a 45 minute loop track.
- Longer walks and tramps up Mt.Oxford, Mt.Richardson, Glentui. Aashley Gorge for picnicking and swimming. There is a mountain bike track on the Wharfdale.
- The Waimakariri Gorge Golf Club is renowned for it's panoramic views of the Waimakariri River and mountains. Green fees $20 each and we can loan you both ladies and men's golf clubs with trundlers.
- Fishing for trout and salmon in the local rivers. A fishing guide can be arranged with prior notice to take you further afield into the beautiful high country.
- Jet Boat the Waimakariri River Gorge with Waimak Alpine Jet Fantastic scenery. Five exciting options, Canyon Safari, Adventure Tours, Alpine Safari and Heritage Safari: 30 mins, 1 hour, 1/2 day, full day. Adventure at its best in the Waimakariri.
- Many guests find it is an ideal place to stay more than one night to make day trips to Hamner Springs, Akaroa, Arthurs Pass/Greymouth, Terrace Downs and Lake Coleridge or stay out of the City for the flight home the next day.
- Mt.Hutt, a top-class ski field, is only an hour away and another 5 ski fields are also within easy reach.
- Want to travel over Arthur's Pass but don't want to drive, take the Trans Alpine train trip for the day, departs only 20 minutes away.
- Akaroa is a day trip away. Cruise on the Black Cat Cruises Swim with the dolphins, Nature Cruises, Wildlife Cruises Lyttelton. Don't need to pack up your suitcases and move.
Looking for Accommodation in other areas of our beautiful country
- Enjoy a piece of paradise near Nelson. Close proximity to Abel Tasman National Park and all its adventures. Easy access to the stunning natural beaches www.almyra.co.nz
- Travel South through the Rakaia Gorge, Geraldine, Lake Tekapo.
- Travelling to the North Island - check out Wisdome Cottage Countrystay , Wellsford